Monday, November 14, 2011

Rabbits: An education

I recently watched a video (below) that AIB TV uploaded to Youtube about the House Rabbit Society.
It was very informative and made all the main points about rabbits and the people who buy them.
Some of the points they make are:

  • Rabbits are often an impulse buy
  • Doing your homework before you purchase a rabbit
  • Many people purchase rabbits because they think they're cute and when they get older they are often neglected. (Again, impulse buy.)
  • Domestic animals are not wild animals, they rely on humans to care for them
  • Rabbits are not the easiest animal to care for (I would not recommend them for small children or as a first time pet)
  • A rabbit's personality changes as they grow older

This may all seem like common knowledge but I assure you, it isn't. At least not from what I've seen.
Most often I see people purchase a cute baby rabbit for their child and as soon as the rabbit gets older they leave it in it's cage for the rest of it's life. Rabbits are one of the most neglected domestic animals because people don't educate themselves on how to properly care for them. If you know how to care for them they can be one of the best pets you've ever had. People who have grown to really love rabbits say they are like a cross between a dog and cat. They're very personable, inquisitive and happy-go-lucky animals.

Please take the time to watch this video and visit the House Rabbit Society website and spread the information and education to others. Thank you!


(\__/)
(=^-^)
  (")_(")o

No comments: